Thursday, January 22, 2009

dreams

Sometimes, it is in waking that I sleep.

Who has not felt it? I slough the dreamy fog of days and wake to worlds alive and bright. In my dreams there is a mission, a purpose, a gasp of breath, a shout. There is horror also, and fear, and hate. There is a darkness older than man, and I am let to wallow in it as I claw my way back to the world.

And in my dreams, too, there is a burning sun warming an endless sea. And there is hope. And there is love. And the bounds of earthly concern are loosed, and I am set upon the sky a constellation. And I am wrought of sterner, stronger stuff than in my waking dream.

I have lived full lives in my dreams. I have gone from child to man to old man in the space of a night. I have left the memoirs and testaments of lifetimes in the impression on a pillow, and I have seen those lives fade in my mind’s eye as quickly as their epithet.

Do they watch me from some other place, my dream selves? Old and young alike. Do they dream of me even as I dream of them? Or are they simply wisps carried on the breeze of imagination? Perhaps they live in me somehow, even as they fall victim to morning’s light. Perhaps they gain life eternal, locked in some small part of my mind that remembers their existence if not their stories.

What tremendous responsibility I bear, then: the weight of those thousand pasts all resting on my shoulders. Have those of me who have gone to pasture in my mind bestowed upon me their will to be? If I am their only hope, if only through me can they reclaim their forgotten world, then I am a scion to that forgotten pantheon. The one last hope.

And have I hoped, in my dreams, not to fade? When I open my eyes on a new day, and, for a time, look on the world with a mind not my own, but that of a dream-self clinging to life, I truly think so.

And I like to think there is triumph when trailing tendrils of sleep wrap themselves about me, and I am borne again to the sea.

7 comments:

Q. said...

I like the line "And have I hoped, in my dreams, not to fade?" Well writ.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Khem,now i know why you had so little to say at two years of age .to think i was concerned when all you would say was "un't no (for i don't know). Now i am speechless. i don't know the words to describe the beauty of what you write.

Anonymous said...

You keep this up, somebody's liable to consider paying you for stuff like this.

Mythos said...

this is definitely the most intensely poetic verse I've read from you. Methinks you are getting better with every post. Enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

Shiz ... nice man.

Unknown said...

Read it again .
This had a magic strike -- I slough the dreamy fog of days and wake to worlds alive and bright.